We’ve got a precious few episodes left on Game of Thrones, and all we can do is sit here helplessly and figure out how everything will end. Based on the latest teaser, called “Long Walk,” it seems the final two seasons will be all about the competing powers of Jon Snow, Cersei Lannister, and Daenerys Targaryen. Now, take into consideration a quote Cersei herself once said. “When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die.” We always thought this could mean one thing: only one ruler will come out on top. But what if we’ve got it all wrong?
Consider this: what if Jon and Daenerys come together with the common goal to defeat Cersei and rid the Seven Kingdoms of the Lannisters for good? Both characters have proven their willingness to gain allies; Jon has united with the Wildings, the Knights of Vale, and more, while Dany of course controls the Unsullied and recently solidified her bond with the Greyjoys. Then that got us thinking: what if they totally just get married and rule Westeros together? Think we’re crazy? We have a few reasons to believe it’s not out of the question.
- Taking it back to A Song of Ice and Fire. This is one of the most classic Game of Thrones theories. The phrase itself comes from George R.R. Martin, and it’s actually the title of the book series Game of Thrones is based on. Many speculate that this phrase refers directly to Jon (ice) and Daenerys (fire). Basically, by having them in the title, it would mean both of them are part of the final “end game.”
- Well . . . they are both single. Sorry, but it’s true. Jon lost Ygritte, and Dany lost Khal Drogo. Jon hasn’t taken a lover since, and although Dany had Daario for a while, they pretty much called it quits at the end of season six. Maybe Dany and Jon are just destined to be.
- They will definitely meet this season. Right, but how could they be meant for each other if they’re on opposite sides of the world? Actually, they’re closing distance on each other in the new season. In fact, some set pictures from last year confirm they’ll actually meet in person! Things could definitely heat up between them.
- They both sort of have a claim to the throne. Season six confirmed the theory that Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen are Jon’s parents. Seeing as the Baratheon-Lannisters have the claim to the throne, they would be first in line to take hold. But Joffrey and Tommen Lannister are dead, and so are Stannis and Renly Baratheon. Once Cersei’s gone, none of them would be left. This means a Targaryen would have claim to the throne, since the last ruler before Robert Baratheon was a Targaryen. Jon is a male heir, but he’s also only technically half Targaryen. Dany, on the other hand, is female but a pure-blooded Targaryen. You could make an argument for either one.
- It kind of makes sense in general. Assuming Cersei does get killed or defeated, it does make sense for Dany and Jon to rule together. When you take everything above into consideration, it seems like the most possible solution. They’ve both proven to be brave but inexperienced rulers. Together, though, they could really soar. They may not fall in love, they may not get married, but at the very least, this is the smartest political move. Here’s to JONERYS!
Source: Pop Sugar