There's So Much You May Have Missed in the New Game of Thrones Teaser
Every day, we inch closer to penultimate season of Game of Thrones. This means it’s only a matter of time before more and more details trickle out, and in that regard, March has been no exception. The month has already yielded an official premiere date and a captivating new trailer . . . which, of course, had us scrambling to figure out what was going on. Now, just on the cusp of April, we have another mysterious teaser, and we’re highlighting all the most important moments that you may have missed the first time around.
The Most Significant Moments
If you think the trailer is just a whole bunch of sultry marching and sitting and not much else . . . well, you’d be partially right. But there are a few crucial things to call out that aren’t necessarily obvious.
- The focus on Jon Snow, Daenerys Targaryen, and Cersei Lannister. It’s no secret that these three gargantuan forces will clash as the series comes to a close. Even so, it’s pretty interesting that no other characters appear anywhere in the teaser. This is probably an indication that none of the other houses really matter. The Iron Islands, Dorne, the Knights of Vale, the Dothraki, and any other pieces of this puzzle will either fall away or find themselves destroyed in a the crossfire.
- The importance of Dany’s Throne. Daenerys sits on a pretty remarkable throne in this teaser, but it isn’t just any throne. It’s almost surely the seat on the Island of Dragonstone in the castle of the same name. Dragonstone is the original location of the House Targaryen in Westeros. Aegon Targaryen, if you didn’t know, was the first Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and first King of the Iron Throne, and this is where he ruled. It means Daenerys has made it to Westeros, and she’s not far from King’s Landing. It also means she’s home, and more ready than ever to take her rightful place as ruler of the Seven Kingdoms.
- More nods to A Song of Ice and Fire. When it comes to season seven, the show has been riding the “Ice and Fire” train hard. The Song of Ice and Fire theory is one of the longest standing GoT myths, and it’s already been hinted at by the season’s official poster. Again, we have the same matching images. There’s fire all around as the characters march to their respective thrones, and Cersei’s chilled breath hints at the oncoming Winter as well.
- The ominous eye of the Night King. This might be the most interesting part of the teaser. The first trailer ends in the exact same way, and the implication is that the Night King oversees all. This might mean that he’s powerful enough to lay waste to all of the Seven Kingdoms. Or it might mean that Cersei, Jon, and Dany can only hope to defeat him if they all work together. One way or another, they will have to answer to him.
- Cersei’s ice breath. Here’s one of the more peculiar aspects of the teaser that’s vastly up to interpretation. The most obvious conclusion is that Winter has descended on King’s Landing. It makes perfect sense, seeing as Winter has come at the end of season six. The strange thing is, Cersei is the only of the three characters to have that “ice breath” moment. Could this have sinister implications? We know Cersei is one of the most evil and craftiest individuals in all of Westeros. Is is possible she figures out how to use the Night King’s invasion to her advantage? Is it possible she somehow harnesses the power of the White Walkers to do her evil bidding? It seems unlikely, but when is comes to Cersei, anything is possible.
Source: Pop Sugar